Rare Books including The Les and Milly Paris Art Archive
Wednesday 22nd August 2018
12.00pm - 3 Abbey Street, Newton, Auckland
ART+OBJECT's next Rare Books auction will be held on Wednesday 22 August 2018. We now invite consignments of collections and single items of New Zealand Histories, Voyages and Travel, Natural History, Military, Maori Printings and Histories, Antarctic, Literature, Modern First Editions, Hunting, Mountaineering, Antiquarian, Children's and Illustrated books. Also of interest are early maps, plans and historic photographs and documents.
Important early entries include:
- A large and extremely significant art archive relating to the legendary Les and Milly Paris Art Collection, including an enormous number of personalised catalogues, programmes, letters, documents, receipts, photographs and invitations which, taken together, serve to shine a unique light on twentieth century New Zealand art history through the lens of one of the country's most popular and significant private collections.
- Hand written letters by William Colenso as well as a poem written on his voyage to New Zealand, inscribed and dated 1834.
- John French Angas - The New Zealanders Illustrated. London 1847.
- John Liddiard Nicholas - A Narrative of a Voyage to New Zealand. London 1817.
- An archive of papers relating to Canterbury Drama Society 1940's from the library of Gordon Tait, it includes signed programmes by Ngaio Marsh, an original typescript for "The Axe" by Allen Curnow as well as photographs and correspondence.
- Walter Lawry Buller's A History of the birds of New Zealand. 2nd edition in 2 volumes.
The Les and Milly Paris Art Archive, Gretchen Albrecht [watercolour], Auckland Festival Exhibition. Barry Lett Galleries 1974.
11:00 - 16:00
09:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 11:00
Pam Plumbly, Rare Book Consultant
021 248 200
09 354 4646
0800 80 60 01
Conditions of Sale