5th December 2018
ART+OBJECT's Christmas Rare Books auction features a superb Auckland library, with many New Zealand historical first editions as well as some rare and seldom seen titles.
Catalogue highights include:
- David Rough – Narrative of a Journey through part of the North of New Zealand. London 1852.
- Fretwell W. Hoyle – Fragments of a Journal Saved from Shipwreck. London 1868.
- James Grey – His Island Home. Wellington 1879.
- Lieutenant FW. Mackenzie – Overland from Auckland to Wellington. Dunedin 1893 [with provenance].
- John Carne Bidwell – Rambles in New Zealand. London 1841.
- John French Angas – The New Zealanders Illustrated. London 1847 [bound copy].
- 1st and 2nd editions of W.L. Buller’s A History of the Birds of New Zealand.
- John Hawkesworth – An Account of the Voyages undertaken by the Order of His Present Majesty for Making Discoveries in the Southern Hemisphere. London 1773.
- Some early Maori and New Zealand printings. One of the major features of the sale is a collection of works relating to and by Katherine Mansfield, including a first edition of ‘In a German Pension’ (London: Stephen Swift 1911) and The Verona Press Edition of The Garden Party, illustrated by Marie Laurencin.
Another item of importance and rarity is a copy of Caesar of the Skies by Beau Sheil, on the life of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith. Inscribed by the author and with several signatures and inscriptions relating to the ‘Southern Cross’ including Charles Kingsford Smith.
To view a complete list of prices realised please click on 'Download the Prices Realised List'.